[Tutor] a program which list ALL the errors

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 24 19:15:52 EDT 2020

On 24/10/2020 23:08, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 18Oct2020 12:34, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> But it must be said that its an unusual strategy.
>> Most programs detect the first error and stop.
>
> And those programmes are user experience disasters. I hate them with a
> passion.

> When that logic is buried deep in a subsidiary script, the user is
> massively annoyed. I submitted a small patch to probe for _all_ the
> software, complain about each missing comonepnt, and _then_ quit. Really
> easy and avoids much anger in the end user.

Interesting. I absolutely hate that behaviour. Some compilers
do it and its a massive pain finding the first error and fixing
it then trying to find another, and another,  and then discovering
that fixing the first actually changed the second! It's much,
much easier IMHO to fix one thing at a time.

Of course the program should give useful hints as to what it is
expecting up front. But not give me a raft of error messages - my poor
brain can only cope with one at a time! :-0

"Beauty is in the eye..." I guess.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site