[Tutor] a program which list ALL the errors

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Sat Oct 24 18:08:52 EDT 2020

On 18Oct2020 12:34, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>But it must be said that its an unusual strategy.
>Most programs detect the first error and stop.

And those programmes are user experience disasters. I hate them with a
passion.

I will always, given the opportunity, use the
many-ifs-and-set-an-error-flag approach. Who has not tried to invokes
some minorly complicated programme in several goes, fixing one thing
only to trip over the next. A PITA.

My most notable recent example was an environment setup script for
something; it had a step where it probes for a dozne or so required
peices of software, and complained and quit at the first missing one.

When that logic is buried deep in a subsidiary script, the user is
massively annoyed. I submitted a small patch to probe for _all_ the
software, complain about each missing comonepnt, and _then_ quit. Really
easy and avoids much anger in the end user.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>