[Tutor] Question on running a small Python program

eric grunfeld grunfelderic at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 16:38:43 EDT 2020

Good Afternoon Everyone:

I have been working on this small program in Python.

The underlying point here is that the fractional_part function divides the
numerator by the denominator.

And then it returns just the fractional part (some number between 0 and 1).

I am seeking to complete the body of the function so that it returns the
right number

However, I have been getting an error message (down below)

Here is the code that I have inputted:

def fractional_part(numerator, denominator):
    if denominator != 0
    return (numerator % denominator)/denominator

print(fractional_part(5, 5)) # Should be 0
print(fractional_part(5, 4)) # Should be 0.25
print(fractional_part(5, 3)) # Should be 0.66...
print(fractional_part(5, 2)) # Should be 0.5
print(fractional_part(5, 0)) # Should be 0
print(fractional_part(0, 5)) # Should be 0

This has been my error message: Error on line 4: if denominator != 0 ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I look forward to your thoughts on this.

Thank you.
Eric