[Tutor] Fwd: Re: Navigation Problem

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Wed Aug 12 19:18:42 EDT 2020

On 12Aug2020 13:09, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>	If the file you are trying to access has spaces in the name (you
>	never
>tell us the full name), you probably have to wrap it in quotes (I don't
>know if Mac uses " or ' for this purpose). Otherwise it will see your
>command as having two or more arguments...

The default Mac shell is a Bourne shell. Bash has been the default login
shell until recently, when they switched the default (for new accounts,
obviously) to zsh. As a zsh user, I laud this decision!

Anyway, normal Bourne shell quoting is the go. So usually you'd use
single quotes (because double quotes expand $ and `).

Both bash and zsh had TAB completion too, so the OP should be able to cd
into the directory as described and go "python foo<TAB>" to expand the
filename starting with foo, which will correctly quote the expansion if
needed and either bash or zsh.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>