[Tutor] Is it possible to make a Raspberry do what I need it to do?

Jack Funkinstain shaneperfit3121 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 23:03:23 EDT 2020

hello

Can you please help me with my raspberry project

For my project I need to make a Raspberry Pi Play an HD 1080 video on start
up/boot/ in full screen. The video will be roughly 15 minutes long and will
play in a loop. It is very important that there is not a blank screen or
any visual or audio gaps when the loop starts over (I have heard that some
media player program have a noticeable delay between the end and the start
of a loop). The video needs to load/start with the volume all the way down,
then have a motion sensor trigger an automation of the volume parameter on
the media player program to gradually go up/fade in to a set volume level
(most likely full volume). The volume then needs to stay at a
fixed/consistent level while the person is in front of the sensor. Then
when the person leaves, the sensor triggers the automation of the volume
parameter to gradually go down/fade out. If a person triggers the motion
sensor before the volume reaches 0, I want the volume parameter to increase
from the point it left off rather than start from 0. I will also need to
install a power button.

I will not be using the raspberry pi as a desktop computer. The one video
MPEG4 and possibly separate audio clip I add will be the only files ever
played on this Raspberry. I will be saving the video file onto a 16gb micro
sd card (not on a usb drive). After the initial setup and configuration the
only ports I will be using is the HDMI port and audio out jack, no wifi. I
 want to just plug it in, then the video/audio/programs automaically play
for hours/days. Then when I am done, just push the power off button and
unplug the device. Sort of as if it was being used headless.

Questions I have.

   1. The Raspberry pi will be in non-stop use for hours, maybe days. I
   read that people have used raspberry’s in video art galleries for up to 4
   days without over heating problems. But I also have read that people have
   installed cooling systems/heat sinks for certain models (perhaps older
   models?)and I have seen that many official retailers offer kits with
   cooling systems. And I also read that it is unnecessary and pointless to
   install heat sinks and cooling devices on a raspberry. Do some models get
   hotter than others? Will the heat reduce performance causing my video/audio
   to glitch or cause the programs to crash? Will the application I plan on
   using this for cause heating problems if it is in continues use? If for
   some reason I cannot accomplish my goal with one media player program and I
   have to run 2 applications, one playing the video, the other playing the
   audio, possibly another for the automation, will this be a problem for
   certain models to handle? Will 2GB of ram be enough for my project? Does
   the Raspberry Pi 3 model A+ get less hot and therefore better suited for my
   project? Is a 16gb micro sd card enough?
   2. Is what I am trying to do even possible on a raspberry pi ? I have
   not been able to find any tutorial about automating software parameter
   changes. Can you recommend any software to use for the automation? I know
   there are several different media player programs you can download to use
   as a video looper but can you recommend the one that has no noticeable gaps
   when restarting a loop? Will I need a breadboard, HAT? The motion sensor
   will be 30 inches away from the Raspberry pi and mounted onto a piece of
   wood.
   3. I have not been able to find a tutorial video on how to code my
   Raspberry to do what I need it to do. Do you have any recommendations?
   4. Can you please make a tutorial video to do what I am trying to do?

Thank you