[Tutor] Parsing email headers

Jim jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Mon Apr 27 12:16:48 EDT 2020

On 4/27/20 5:58 AM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 26Apr2020 16:13, jim <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Right now using Thunderbird, I right-click on the email in question.
>> Then I click Save As and give it a name. It is then saved as a .eml
>> file. Then I give the file name to my script and see the header info.
>
> Just looking at this bit. On Thunderbird here (MacOS) selecting a
> message and hitting Cmd-U shows me the message source, with headers.
> That is likely Ctrl-U on Linux.
>
> Anyway, if you have an index-only view with no message pane, that might
> get you the headers without "viewing" the whole thing. I would find
> eyeballing that easier than your ritual to get the message to a script.

At first I could not figure out how you could click on a message and not
have it open. Then I reread your last paragraph and understood. I
normally do have the message pane open. So now if I see a suspicious
message I can switch to index-only and follow your advice.

I think I will continue to work on the script anyway. I think I can use
PyAutoGui and PySimpleGUI to come up with a one click solution. It could
be a good learning experience.

Thanks,  Jim