[Tutor] Python installtion

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 07:17:41 EST 2019

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 11:10, mousumi sahu <mousumi.nina.sahu1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir,
> I am trying to install python 2.7.10 on HPC. Python 2.6 has already been
> install on root. I do not have root authority. Please suggest me how can I
> do this.

Does HPC stand for High-Performance Computing? Are you trying to set
up Python to run your code in a Linux super computer / compute
cluster?

You can compile Python yourself easily enough.

First download Python. If the cluster has internet access you can do
that with this:

$ wget https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.7.2/Python-3.7.2.tgz

Then compile Python:

$ tar -xzf Python-3.7.2.tgz
$ cd Python-3.7.2
$ ./configure
$ make
$ ./python

This can all take place in your user directory without needing root.

--
Oscar