[Tutor] NLP

David L Neil PyTutor at DancesWithMice.info
Mon Aug 26 14:11:55 EDT 2019

On 27/08/19 4:41 AM, Mats Wichmann wrote:
> On 8/26/19 9:46 AM, Olsen, Avalow Y wrote:
>> I am new to Python but need to make a proof of concept to use Python to build a predictive model for cancer diagnosis on our lab data with Natural Language Processing (NLTK).
>>
>> Has anyone done any cancer work with NLP?  Given my situation,  what is the best way to get started?
>
> And your lab data is in the form of human language narrative
> (physician's notes, etc)?  If so, nltk will be useful for breaking down
> the data into parts you can work with, but there's an awfully long way
> to go from there to diagnosis...
>
> You probably want to get a bit more familiar with Python before tackling
> this, just as an opinion.

At first, confusion reigned as to how NLTK would fit into such a process
- expecting radiographic and other scan image analysis; until the above
analysis.

Coursera.org is 'down for maintenance', but IIRC they have courses which
include NLTK. Probably under headings such as Machine Learning, and Data
Science; as well as language/linguistics.

There are a number of texts introducing and detailing NLTK.
--
Regards =dn