[Tutor] Fwd: Mailing list chaos.

David Rock david at graniteweb.com
Sat Aug 24 20:58:05 EDT 2019

> On Aug 24, 2019, at 17:29, David L Neil <PyTutor at DancesWithMice.info> wrote:
>
> For the benefit of those of us who don't use WhatsApp (or any other Facebook-ish medium): is a "class group" literally his own school-class or does it comprise all the people in NL/the world attempting that subject/topic?

These are mostly driven by the students themselves.  They are not formal (or sanctioned) in any way related to the class itself.  It’s usually just the kids i the class making a group so they can gripe to each other about the class (and beg for answers).  There are a couple cases where the teacher will put together something using other tools (The “remind” App is used a lot for this), but it’s usually just a place to post date reminders, not have interactive discussions.

> The next question may then be: are students likely to gain greater advantage there, or from 'here’?

No.  As mentioned, it’s driven typically by the students, limited to their class only, and has no senior input, guidance.

> Which may also lead to the thought: are they better staying in a 'student community' (my imagination of "class group") or being exposed to the views, advice, and work-habits of professionals (who are members here)?

If that’s what the “class group” was, then possibly yes.  The fact that’s not what it is; no.

—
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com