[Tutor] Noob: nested if-clauses

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 29 15:13:46 EST 2016

On 29/01/16 17:41, STF wrote:

> Personally, I don't find this as a "good thing".  It rather recalls the
> horrible dreams I have had when I was using Fortran!  In Fortran, we have
> to deal with position of first characters to make things work.  IMO, making
> a visual format an essential thing in programming is a very bad idea, if
> it's not superficial.

I've never done Fortran but I did do COBOL which similarly is fussy
about spacing. But trust me, Python is much more flexible and friendly
in its  use of whitespace. It essentially just asks you to do what
you should be doing anyways.

And the way it works avoids most of the dangling else errors
you get in languages like C/Java etc (And I had >10 years
experience with those before discovering python.)

When I first heard that python was white-space sensitive I
thought, oh no! But now I see it as a huge strength of the
language. Once you get used to it you will find it helps
far more than it hinders - just avoid tabs and/or map your
tab key to spaces.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site