[Tutor] key detection

Jim Mooney Py3.4.3winXP cybervigilante at gmail.com
Wed May 6 01:47:24 CEST 2015

On 5 May 2015 at 15:36, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Can python detect a keypress?
>>

> That sounds simple but is actually quite tricky
> since it's terminal dependent.

An ancillary question. I found a readchar that purports to install in py2
and 3 but fails in 3. The errors (something from the encodings module)
won't copy from the console, so I thought I could redirect them like so:

python3 setup.py > errors.txt

But that didn't work. How can I get a printout of setup errors so I can
post them? That's something of general use aside from the keyboard loop.
Otherwise, I decided to just use msvcrt for now, which is quite simple, and
put in a try block for win or linux, when I dual boot linux, which I'm
working on. (solving the usual driver problems for a toshiba laptop)

--
Jim

"What a rotten, failed experiment. I'll start over. Maybe dogs instead of
monkeys this time." --God