[Tutor] Introductory questions on test-driven development and implementing Git version control.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 25 00:03:04 CEST 2015

On 24/04/15 20:09, boB Stepp wrote:
> I have just started reading "Test-Driven Development by Example" by
> Kent Beck during my lunch breaks at work.

The TDD bit is another whole topic that I'll probably jump into later.
For now...

> allowed to install anything else, strange as this may sound! Since the
> only functional editors in these bare-bones Solaris 10 environments
> are some simplistic default editor that I do not know the name of and
> vi,

vi is a great editor, no major problems there, except it
doesn't have Python syntax awareness/coloring etc.
.
However from memory doesn't Solaris 10 come with a CDE GUI?
If so it should have a graphical editor in there someplace too.
It was a reasonable coding editor in that it did block indenting,
bracket matching, etc.

And of course it has the original SCCS for source control.
Which if there's only a few of you is adequate, and easy
to work with. I used SCCS on several major projects over
a 10 year period.

> And if successful automated testing can be done with this CSA
> situation, how difficult is it to backtrack and add test suites to
> stuff already written and being used?

That's the traditional way of doing testing! Its not that hard
if you can figure out a test environment. but from what I recall
this CSA is a GUI? That makes injecting messages/commands much
harder. There are tools that can do it but you can't install
them...

In your case building a usable test environment may be the
barrier, building the test is an evolutionary process that
shouldn't be too hard.

If you have a CLI interface then file redirection makes
it relatively easy! If you can interact with its database
then stored procedures might provide away in.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site