[Tutor] ran into a problem with pip install

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pytut at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 05:58:45 CET 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 10:28 PM, Clayton Kirkwood <crk at godblessthe.us> wrote:
> I was trying to pip install beautifulsoup and ran into the following error.
> It appears to be 2.x because of the print.

Your diagnosis is correct, beautifulsoup 3.2.1 is written for Python 2.

> I am installing to a python 3.4.2. What do I need to do?

Install beautifulsoup4.

Just to note, I know nothing about beautifulsoup, having never used
it.  I determined the proper solution by doing a Google search for
"beautifulsoup", which turned up two different PyPI links as the 4th
and 5th results.  Opening both of them, the one for 'BeautifulSoup
3.2.1' says "This package is OBSOLETE. It has been replaced by the
beautifulsoup4 package. You should use Beautiful Soup 4 for all new
projects."

> I tried to log a bug report to PyPI Bug Reports
> but that apparently isn’t the cool thing to do.

What do you mean by that?  However, note that this was not a PyPI bug;
if anything, it's a bug in beautifulsoup's setup.py not specifying
that it is a Python2-only package, which is not likely to change since
the package is marked as obsolete.  By the way, it is good to confirm
that there is actually a reproducible bug before opening a bug report
anywhere; frivolous reports of non-bugs are mildly annoying at best
and rage-inducing at worst (depending on how your day has been :).

> I can’t perceive why the test failed.

You already diagnosed it: it was trying to run Python2-only code on Python3.

Also, please try to avoid sending mail to this (or any) list in HTML
or "rich text" format.  Plain text is far easier for everyone else to
deal with, from being able to actually read your message to being able
to reply without having to reformat your entire message.  Your client
(which appears to be Outlook?) does at least include a plain text
version with the HTML, but here's how it looks:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2014-November/103477.html

Hope this helps,
--
Zach