[Tutor] yes, I am being lazy...

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 23:24:52 CET 2014

Hi,

On 23 November 2014 at 20:50, Clayton Kirkwood <crk at godblessthe.us> wrote:
> >From: Tutor [mailto:tutor-bounces+crk=godblessthe.us at python.org] On
> >Behalf Of Steven D'Aprano
> >That's because it's not right.
> >
> >You're supposed to run setup.py. From the Windows command line, you run
> >something like:
> >
> >cd directory/where/you/unpacked/the/files
> >python3.4 setup.py install
>
> Ya know, that is exactly what I did (used build yesterday) this morning
> (used install) and it still put the files in a subdirectory of the source
> directory, not over /python34/lib. Is there supposed to be a path variable
> changed somewhere? There are no instructions in plain sight except if I want
> to publish. How to install must be part of the setup module. The package
> also includes urllib3 and it is not being made in the /python/lib directory
> either.

You must be mistaken, setup.py does not put stuff under the source
directory. Please also have a look under
c:\python34\Lib\site-packages, where the package (.egg) folder is
supposed to be put -- I've just downloaded the zip and installed, and
this (as is typical) is where it put the file(s).

For reference, when you run the installation command, some of the last
lines of output in your console window should be something like:
----------------
[snip]
creating build\bdist.win32\egg\EGG-INFO
copying requests.egg-info\PKG-INFO -> build\bdist.win32\egg\EGG-INFO
copying requests.egg-info\SOURCES.txt -> build\bdist.win32\egg\EGG-INFO
copying requests.egg-info\dependency_links.txt -> build\bdist.win32\egg\EGG-INFO

copying requests.egg-info\not-zip-safe -> build\bdist.win32\egg\EGG-INFO
copying requests.egg-info\requires.txt -> build\bdist.win32\egg\EGG-INFO
copying requests.egg-info\top_level.txt -> build\bdist.win32\egg\EGG-INFO
creating dist
creating 'dist\requests-2.4.3-py3.3.egg' and adding
'build\bdist.win32\egg' to it
removing 'build\bdist.win32\egg' (and everything under it)
Processing requests-2.4.3-py3.3.egg
creating c:\python33\lib\site-packages\requests-2.4.3-py3.3.egg
Extracting requests-2.4.3-py3.3.egg to c:\python33\lib\site-packages
Adding requests 2.4.3 to easy-install.pth file

Installed c:\python33\lib\site-packages\requests-2.4.3-py3.3.egg
Processing dependencies for requests==2.4.3
Finished processing dependencies for requests==2.4.3
-----------------
Could you paste what your output actually was?  Perhaps something else going on.

As an aside -- it's **much** easier to use "pip" to install packages
into python,  "pip" will automatically download and correctly install
a package into your python environment. And, it is included on Windows
on Python 3.4+ (previous versions you have to install pip by hand.)
Consequently, with a standard Python 3.4 install (as you appear to
have?), all you need to do to install a module like requests, is enter
the following commands:

cd c:\Python34\Scripts
pip install requests

And done. :) Note you can omit the first command if you ensure
c:\Python34\Scripts is on your PATH and the only version of pip
reachable, or you explicitly reference it in the command.  If you're
ever unsure *which* pip you're reaching (in case you've got multiple
pips installed etc), you can use the -V switch to have it tell you.

HTH,

Walter