[Tutor] How does this work? Is there anyway to receive live Python help?

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Tue May 27 03:10:56 CEST 2014

FWIW I am an operator on the channel, so, obviously biased. (ssbr)

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 01:04:55PM -0700, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:
>> If you want python help "live", try the #python IRC channel at irc.freenode.net
>>
>> You'll need to register a nick though, see
>> https://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup
>
> Ouch!
>
> #python is not very friendly to beginners. (Or anyone else for that
> matter.)

There are many things that are unfriendly about #python, and many
things that are friendly about it. I think it's unfair to casually
dismiss it as a place to learn. If Emma was who I think they were,
their experience seemed fine to me, and their questions seemed
suitable for IRC.

> It's well-suited to questions which can be asked, and
> answered, in one or two sentences, but is completely unsuitable for
> extended discussion.

On the contrary, I prefer #python to the mailing list for smallish but
extended discussion. Because the unit of conversation is very small,
and the turnaround time is so short, small misunderstandings can be
quickly corrected, and the conversation progresses quickly.

It is very often the case that one question leads to another, which
leads to another. In IRC this is one relatively quick (but "extended")
session. This is its core advantage over something like a mailing list
(with its slow round-trip time), and one that I think #python uses
fairly well. On the other hand, mailing lists are amazing for esoteric
questions that need the right pair of eyes or they can't be answered,
or for requests for extended monologues about how something works,
etc. -- IRC can do these, especially the latter, but not as well.

I think the fact that #python is so popular (for extended discussion,
no less) shows that it is not bad, but that it might be a matter of
preference.

> Also they have a bad habit of banning people without warning or
> explanation. And, I have to say, in my opinion often their answers are
> actually *wrong*, but if you try to tell them so they ban you.

You would not be banned for saying an answer is wrong. That happens
all the time, because answers often are wrong. But, for example, you
might be banned if you keep telling everyone "lol wow, you have no
idea what you are talking about", and insulting things like that
(without so much as giving an actual answer yourself). But you would
probably be warned first.

If you have more details, I can offer more help and/or apologies as
warranted. I am only talking in the abstract, and it's possible you
saw somebody be wronged.

-- Devin