[Tutor] How does this work? Is there anyway to receive live Python help?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue May 27 02:59:48 CEST 2014

Hi Emma,

As well as everything else others have said, remember that we're
scattered all over the world, so you can ask a question at any time of
the day or night and chances are good that *someone* will read it soon.

When you joined this mailing list, you had a choice of whether to
receive individual messages, or a daily digest. Make sure you pick
individual messages, otherwise you will have to wait anything up to 24
hours before seeing all the replies at once, instead of as them come in.
You can change your settings here:

When asking questions, the more detail you can provide, the better our
answers will be. E.g:

"I need help with my homework!"

(Our answer: Yes, you probably do. Next.)

"I need help with my homework. I have to write a guess-the-number game."

(Our answer: Okay, at least now we know what your homework is. How far
have you got? What are you having trouble with?)

"I'm writing a guess-the-number game using Python version 3.3. I'm stuck
at writing this loop, I expect it to ask the user for Yes or No
repeatedly, but it just loops forever even if the user types No. Here is
a copy of my code. Oh, and this is homework, so I'm just looking for
direction and explanation, please don't write my code for me."

(Our answer: Great! That's just about the perfect question, now we can
answer it.)

If you're unsure about something ("how do I find out what version of
Python I'm running?") please ask. That includes basic questions like
"what's a function?". No question about Python is too simple for us to
answer (although for advanced users, sometimes questions can be too
specialized for us).

There are no stupid questions although sometimes people ask good
questions in a stupid manner. Ask questions well and we'll try very hard
to answer them well.

--
Steven