[Tutor] How to test mobile apps using python

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Jun 13 13:25:31 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 01:27:07AM -0700, Reuben wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know how we could test android mobile apps using python.
> Lets say I want to test my skype app. How can we go about?

This forum is for learning the Python language, and unfortunately
there's no "test_android_app" function in the language. So you're asking
a very specialized question: it requires not just knowledge of Python,
or of testing frameworks in Python, but of testing frameworks in Python
on the Android platform.

If you were writing your apps in Python, I'd suggest just using the
doctest and unittest modules. For testing native Android apps, I don't
know. If you can drive the app using Python, then you can write tests
using unittest.

https://docs.python.org/2/library/unittest.html

unittest is based very closely on Java unit testing, so if you know
Java, you should find it quite familiar.

Other than that, you may find some help from a Jython discussion group,
they might be able to suggest how to test Java apps from Python. Or from
a Kivvy group, they may be able to suggest how to test apps on Android.

Good luck.

--
Steven