[Tutor] Python Socket Error: Connection refused

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Mon Jul 7 08:49:21 CEST 2014

> I need some help, I  have no programming skills and am trying to teach myself python. I keep on getting an error message as follows:

[content cut]

It appears from the screenshot that you are running some version of
Windows that has software that's interfering with IDLE.  As the error
message says,

"IDLE's subprocess didn't make connection.  Either IDLE can't start a
subprocess or personal firewall software is blocking the connection."

I would believe the error message.  The IDLE program is trying to
create a network connection, but fails to do so.

Windows machines typically have a restrictive firewall that limit
certain operations.  Do you know if you have a firewall running on
your computer?  Note that there are other kinds of software that will
interfere, such as proxy network software.  See:
http://bugs.python.org/issue14576 for an example of such interference
by an external piece of software.

Software installation is stupid-hard.  If you are just starting off,
you might be able to use one of the "online" Python-based
environments, at least as a temporary workaround until you can resolve
your installation issue.  See:

    http://repl.it/languages/Python

It's not a perfect solution, but at least you may be able to start
doing simple experiments with Python without having to fight with
installation.