[Tutor] Protecting username - password items in python3.3

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 23:49:37 CEST 2013

On 10 October 2013 22:28, Paul Smith <paulrsmith7777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok experts I need to protect username and password items in some Python3.3
> code I am writing.

I'm not an expert on this subject but...

> Let me clarify, I don't care here about protecting the program itself i.e.
> using
>
> else:
>        main()
>
> to work around my username password input, I simply don't want to reveal
> username and password info.

I have no idea what the above means.

> I see md5, hashlib etc. but my program will be up against some BIG CORPS and
> I need to make it as painful a process possible for someone to get
> username(typically email) and password information from my program.

What do you mean by "BIG CORPS"? Is someone out to get you?

> I am considering using subprocess to achieve this if necessary.

I still don't really understand what you mean. The easiest way to
protect your program from leaking passwords is just to not store any
passwords. Presumably you also want to store them in some form in
order to do something useful though?

Do you want to store the passwords so that they can be recovered? Or
just so they can be checked against to see if a password entered later
matches? Are you also trying to hide some other data from the "BIG
CORPS". Perhaps if you could show a small demo script that does
approximately what you're thinking but indicating the parts currently
missing I might understand what you mean.

Oscar