[Tutor] Scripting Calligra sheets with Python

Hugo Arts hugo.yoshi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 17:38:31 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:

> I am trying to script Calligra Sheets (formerly KSpread) with python.  I
> have gotten some of the included example scripts to run so I know python
> scripting is running.
>
> I found the following snippet on their website:
>
> import KSpread
> sheet = KSpread.view().sheet()
> # swap text of B5 and C6
> t1 = sheet.text("B5")
> t2 = sheet.text(6,3)
> sheet.setText("B5", t2)
> sheet.setText(6, 3, t1)
> # swap value of D7 and E8
> v1 = sheet.value("D7")
> v2 = sheet.value(8,5)
> sheet.setValue("D7", v2)
> sheet.setValue(8, 5, v1)
>
> Error: 'str' object has no attribute 'text'
>  File "file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/**sheets/scripts/extensions/**myswap.py",
> line 4, in <module>
>

> This error message appeared in a dialog box.
>
> I've taught myself some Python but I don't understand what is happening
> here.  Shouldn't t1 be a sheet object?  What would cause it to be a str
> instead?

You'd be much better off asking the Calligra guys directly I think,
somewhere at http://www.calligra.org/get-help/. It looks like
KSpread.view().sheet() is returning a str object, as you correctly
diagnose, but I'm not familiar enough with their API to say anything about
the root cause. There will be a lot more expertise and knowledge available
from their website than from this mailing list since this list's topic is
far more general. I'd check the forums.

Hugo