[Tutor] Scripting Calligra sheets with Python

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Mon Mar 18 17:18:10 CET 2013

I am trying to script Calligra Sheets (formerly KSpread) with python.  I
have gotten some of the included example scripts to run so I know python
scripting is running.

I found the following snippet on their website:

import KSpread
sheet = KSpread.view().sheet()
# swap text of B5 and C6
t1 = sheet.text("B5")
t2 = sheet.text(6,3)
sheet.setText("B5", t2)
sheet.setText(6, 3, t1)
# swap value of D7 and E8
v1 = sheet.value("D7")
v2 = sheet.value(8,5)
sheet.setValue("D7", v2)
sheet.setValue(8, 5, v1)

Error: 'str' object has no attribute 'text'
  File
"file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/sheets/scripts/extensions/myswap.py", line
4, in <module>

This error message appeared in a dialog box.

I've taught myself some Python but I don't understand what is happening
here.  Shouldn't t1 be a sheet object?  What would cause it to be a str
instead?

Thanks,  Jim