[Tutor] confusing installation

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Fri Mar 1 17:27:35 CET 2013

Lolo Lolo wrote:
> >Welcome to the world of software development. GUIs like Windows are great for doing simple things but
> they can't compete with >command line tools for doing powerful things quickly. So pretty much every
> programmer has to get used to using the command line >sooner or later.
>
> >If you are not used to using the Windowsc CMD program there are several short tutorials available to
> help you get started.
>
> so CMD has features like linux when you can download/install/build files from the command line? i
> didnt think this was possible

Yes, this is very possible. In fact, there are entire projects towards creating
Linux-like environments in Windows. Cygwin[0] and MinGW[1] are two big ones of
which I am aware. I am sure there are other smaller/more specialized version.

You can also use many Linux command line programs that have been compiled for
Windows. I frequently use GnuWin32's[2] programs.

[0] http://www.cygwin.com/
[1] http://www.mingw.org/
[2] http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

Tangentially yours,