[Tutor] Getting the real exception clause

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 17 02:29:24 CEST 2013

On 17/06/2013 01:12, Dave Angel wrote:
> On 06/16/2013 08:04 PM, Jim Mooney wrote:
>> On 16 June 2013 16:41, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
>>
>>> But if you have some other reason to do it your way, then just look
>>> at the
>>> type of err.
>>>
>>> print( type(err), err)
>>>
>> Yes, that's what I was looking for. It's just a learning tool to see
>> the exceptions without the ugly BUNG! and red traceback screen I get
>> from my IDE, then having to close the message-box so I can see the
>> interpreter again ;')
>
> So let me get this straight. Your IDE is busted and ruins the standard
> error traceback message.  So you catch "exception" and try to recreate
> the feature as it was intended to work.
>
> I'd look closer at the IDE and see if it's configurable to remove ugly
> features.

Since when is code meant to be run from an IDE?  For the simple stuff
that the OP is doing, why not use any semi-decent text editor and run
the code from the command line?

Thinking about it, for years I happily used Mark Hammond's excellent
pywin32 stuff to do just this.  I only moved to Eclipse and Pydev when I
had some heayweight porting of Java code to Python, but that would be a
massive overkill for the OP.

Just my £0.02p worth.

--
"Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are
watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." Snooker

Mark Lawrence