[Tutor] A slight bug in IDLE

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Sun Jul 14 07:25:38 CEST 2013

On 07/14/2013 01:02 AM, Jim Mooney wrote:
> On 13 July 2013 21:41, eryksun <eryksun at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> A lot of new packages support versions 2.6+, which have the "with"
>> statement enabled.
>>
>> So, since I'm using 2.7 I don't need generators or with?
>
> Then all I'm using to be 3.3ish, would be:
>
> from __future__ import division, print_function
> import sys
> if int(sys.version_info[0]) < 3:
>      input = raw_input
>      range = xrange

Any time you can avoid making specific version # checks, you're better
off.  When I was dealing with Microsoft version changes, I frequently
ran into problems where one piece of code would lie about versions just
to fool certain libraries into compensating, and the resulting mess was
a morass of bugs waiting to pop.  Remember when Windows 4.0 had an
internal version of 3.99, so that some obscure package would still be
willing to work?

try:
     input = raw_input
except NameError as e:
     pass

try:
     range = xrange
except NameError as e:
     pass

> for my header macro. I'll try to remember about Tkinter.
>
> Anything else missing of great import ;')  I don't want that to get too big
> - just the minimum.

DaveA