[Tutor] automate add-to-cart with python

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Tue Jan 29 20:18:08 CET 2013

> After downloading pip, I tried to install it:
> cd /Applications/pip-1.2.1
> install pip
>
> I got this strange message:
> usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
>                [-o owner] file1 file2
>        install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
>                [-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory
>        install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...
> Benjamins-MacBook-Air:pip-1.2.1 bfishbein$
>
> Apparently it didn't install.
> Do you know what I'm doing wrong?
> Any help would be appreciated.
> I didn't expect it to be so tough to install a python module.

Technically, this is not pure Python code; expect some friction here
due to the different levels of technologies being interconnected.

I've been out of the Python development community for a very long
time, so hopefully someone else will help correct me.  I believe pip,
a Python package installer, should be installed by following the
instructions in:

    http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/installing.html

Have you looked at this yet?

The error message you're seeing is conceptually due to the assumption
that "install" is a universal thing.  It's not.  "install" in the
context of the command line is something else entirely separate from
Python: it's a command to install BSD binary utilities.