[Tutor] automate add-to-cart with python

Benjamin Fishbein bfishbein79 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 19:52:00 CET 2013

> A direct approach would probably use the webdriver API to automate the
> browser.  Selenium has one:

I decided to use Selenium. It may be overkill for this particular problem, but I'll want to use it for other things.
This is my first time trying to install a new module to Python. I've been working on it all morning with no success.
I'm on Mac OSX and I downloaded :
selenium-2.29.0.tar.gz
and then opened it to get:
selenium-2.29.0

In the README file,  it said for installing to Python, to type:
pip install -U selenium

So in terminal, I went to:

cd /Users/bfishbein/Downloads/selenium-2.29.0

and typed:
pip install -U selenium

I got:
-bash: pip: command not found
so I tried downloading pip

After downloading pip, I tried to install it:
cd /Applications/pip-1.2.1
install pip

I got this strange message:
usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
               [-o owner] file1 file2
       install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
               [-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory
       install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...
Benjamins-MacBook-Air:pip-1.2.1 bfishbein$

Apparently it didn't install.
Do you know what I'm doing wrong?
Any help would be appreciated.
I didn't expect it to be so tough to install a python module.
Ben