[Tutor] How to present python experience (self-taught) to potential employer

Amit Saha amitsaha.in at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 05:12:03 CEST 2013

Hi Jing Ai,

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Jing Ai <jai633 at g.rwu.edu> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> This is Jing and I am a recent college graduate with Biology and Public
> Health background.  I'm currently learning python on my own when i have time
> off from my PH internship.  There's a job posting that looks really idea for
> me in the near future (a PH Research position) that requires "Python
> experience" and I wonder if any of you have any suggestions how I can
> demonstrate my python skills if I'm learning it on my own as opposed to
> taking courses?
>
> Some people had previously suggested GitHub, but it seems to only show my
> abilities to read python code and detect bugs, but not abilities to write
> python code.  Some others suggested doing a project of my own, but I don't
> currently have any data or problem to solve in my field.

I am not from your background. In your field of work do you need to do
lot of data analysis (read statistical analysis)?. Do you think you
could find something like that and something of your interest? You
could then use Python (the language and related tools) to perform data
analysis, presenting data graphically, etc to work the data and infer
some relevant conclusions. For example, http://www.quandl.com/ has
data sets related to various fields of study.

Does that sound like something you may find interesting and is relevant?

Best,
Amit.
--
http://echorand.me