[Tutor] feedback on writing pipelines in python

Steve Willoughby steve at alchemy.com
Wed Mar 21 19:20:42 CET 2012

On 21-Mar-12 11:03, Abhishek Pratap wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I am  in the process of perl to python transition for good.  I wanted to

Why?  Perl is still a perfectly good tool.  Just not, IMHO, good for
exactly the same things Python is good for.

> 1. stitch pipelines : I want python to act as a glue allowing me to run
> various linux shell based programs. If needed wait for a program to
> finish and then move on, logs if required

Look at the subprocess standard library module.  It offers a complete
set of options for launching processes, piping their data aound, waiting
for them, handling exceptions, and so forth.