[Tutor] Socket and Ports

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 16:20:48 CEST 2011

On 10/16/2011 8:28 AM, Jacob Bender wrote:
> Dear Tutors,
>
>      I've been having an issue with socket. I wanted to use it for
> transmitting strings over the Internet.

That's good, because strings is all you can transmit.

> The problem is that my friend insists that allowing python to transmit
> and receive information via an Internet port is a bad idea. He claimed
> that I could(and probably would) receive information that wouldn't
> necessarily do my computer any good(in a nutshell).

I am not the expert on this issue. My view:

once you establish a socket connection then you wait to receive data.
All the socket software (Python or other) does is receive a string. What
you do with it is up to you. If you apply eval or exec to it than
anything could happen. No one can IMHO cause any action via socket.

[snip]

--
Bob Gailer
919-636-4239