[Tutor] Socket and Ports

Jacob Bender benderjacob44 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 14:28:32 CEST 2011

Dear Tutors,

     I've been having an issue with socket. I wanted to use it for
transmitting strings over the Internet. The problem is that my friend
insists that allowing python to transmit and receive information via an
Internet port is a bad idea. He claimed that I could(and probably would)
receive information that wouldn't necessarily do my computer any good(in a
nutshell).
     First of all, I thought that you could specify where the message was
supposed to come from via an IP address, while you were in the process of
creating your clients(or server). That way, I shouldn't be receiving all
kinds of random stuff from people on the same port that don't have that IP
address.
     My friend also claims that hackers could use my python distribution to
hack other programs on my system(all without my permission, of course). And
ultimately steal information or bring down my system. All via socket,
because I'd allow only that program to access the port.
     In conclusion, basically my friend says that whatever I do, hackers can
and probably will somehow take control of my computer in some way, shape, or
form. I, however think this to be untrue because I'm specifying where the
information is supposed to come from and I'm not going to open my entire
computer to the port, I'm ONLY allowing python to receive and transmit
information. Please help. Thanks,

Jacob Bender