[Tutor] Non programmer wanting to become programmer

Wayne Werner waynejwerner at gmail.com
Fri May 27 03:20:47 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 2:36 PM, amt <0101amt at gmail.com> wrote:

> First of all, hello!  I want to start learning programming. I'm looking
> into becoming more than a hobbyist programmer. I searched a lot on Google on
> what programming language should I learn first and I see a lot of good words
> about Python so I decided to go for it but have some questions:
>
> 1)What book should I start with?  ( I have checked Python for non
> programmers but there are a lot of titles there, what should I pick first?I
> was thinking about Invent your own computer games with Python.)

A lot of people have mentioned their favorites, and there are plenty to like
about those. If you like books, I would highly recommend this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Programming-Line-Express-Learning/dp/0470068221

It's well written and quite helpful, and teaches you programming in the
context of game programming. If games are your thing, it's a good one - it
points out many of the pitfalls that might catch you, and at the end of each
chapter are assignments/questions to help you learn.

Other than that, I have nothing more to add - others have given you quite
solid advice.

Good luck on your path to programming!
(also you might be interested in this essay: http://norvig.com/21-days.html
)