[Tutor] Indexing a List of Strings

spawgi at gmail.com spawgi at gmail.com
Wed May 18 10:03:19 CEST 2011

Agreed that your original sequences are 1000 char long. But it helps to
understand the problem better if you can give examples with smaller strings.
Please can you post smaller examples? This will also help you test your code
on your own inputs.

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:40 AM, Spyros Charonis <s.charonis at gmail.com>wrote:

> Greetings Python List,
>
> I have a motif sequence (a list of characters e.g. 'EAWLGHEYLHAMKGLLC')
> whose index I would like to return.
> The list contains 20 strings, each of which is close to 1000 characters
> long making it far too cumbersome to display an example.
> I would like to know if there is a way to return a pair of indices, one
> index where my sequence begins (at 'E' in the above case) and
> one index where my sequence ends (at 'C' in the above case). In short, if
> 'EAWLGHEYLHAMKGLLC' spans 17 characters is it possible
> to get something like 100 117, assuming it begins at 100th position and
> goes up until 117th character of my string. My loop goes as
> follows:
>
> for item in finalmotifs:
>     for line in my_list:
>         if item in line:
>             print line.index(item)
>
> But this only returns a single number (e.g 119), which is the index at
> which my sequence begins.
>
> Is it possible to get a pair of indices that indicate beginning and end of
> substring?
>
> Many thanks

http://spawgi.wordpress.com
We can do it and do it better.