[Tutor] Beginner needs help with tkinter and images

Adam Westrum jadesaturn at gmail.com
Wed May 18 05:51:00 CEST 2011

I've got a basic program going right now, with 4 buttons. Forward backward
right and left. Each button goes to an image of a colored circle. Problem
i'm having is that when you click a button, the picture appears. When you
click another button, a different picture appears, but the first picture
remains. How do I get rid of the first picture when the second button is
clicked?

Additionally, I cant seem to import any pictures at all into tkinter. I get
a tclerror saying that there is an error in the bitmap.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Here is a copy of my code/

import Tkinter
from Tkinter import *
import tkMessageBox

root=Tk()
frame=Frame(root)
frame.pack()

def forward():

    forward=Tkinter.Canvas(root, bg="white", height=250, width=300)
    coord=10, 50, 240, 210
    oval=forward.create_oval(coord, fill="blue")
    label=Label(root, text="This is the going forward image")

    label.pack
    forward.pack()

def backward():

    backward=Tkinter.Canvas(root, bg="white", height=250, width=300)

    coord=10, 50, 240, 210
    oval=backward.create_oval(coord, fill="red")

    backward.pack()

def left():

    left=Tkinter.Canvas(root, bg="white", height=250, width=300)

    coord=10, 50, 240, 210
    oval=left.create_oval(coord, fill="yellow")

    left.pack()

def right():

    right=Tkinter.Canvas(root, bg="white", height=250, width=300)

    coord=10, 50, 240, 210
    oval=right.create_oval(coord, fill="green")

    right.pack()

bottomframe=Frame(root)
bottomframe.pack(side=BOTTOM)

forwardbutton=Button(frame, command=forward, text="Forward", fg="blue")
forwardbutton.pack(side=TOP)

turnrightbutton=Button(frame, command=right, text="Turn Right", fg="blue")
turnrightbutton.pack(side=RIGHT)

turnleftbutton=Button(frame, command=left, text="Turn Left", fg="blue")
turnleftbutton.pack(side=LEFT)

backwardbutton=Button(frame, command=backward, text="Backward", fg="blue")
backwardbutton.pack(side=BOTTOM)

root.mainloop()