[Tutor] Basic web form interaction with http://propka.ki.ku.dk/

Troels Emtekær Linnet tlinnet at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 16:44:32 CEST 2011

Hi Mateus.

No, I was certainly not aware of BioPython. What a nice project. I will
check it out.

No, the script should not download a .pdb file.
The idea is, that a "researcher/student" sits with his/hers favorite protein
in pymol and would like to know the pKa value
of his/hers favorite amino acids.

The student "probably" has only pymol installed, and would not like to
install to many other python packages.
Maybe the student can't, because it is a university computer.

With this web-interaction script, the students activate the script, with:
get_pka Molecule, residue

The script saves the molecule to a .pdb file. Interact with the propka web
site, send the file, wait 1 minute, grep for the line
with the amino acid, and parse it back to pymol, so the student can see the
pKa.

To big benefit with this, is that the student does not have to handle to
hard installations of scripts/programs or the manual way.
And the student knows, that the pKa prediction is from the newest software
available.
If the student get greedy, he/she starts writing a pymol script that alter
the pdb structure in pymol, and receive the new pKa value for each
structural change.
The downside, is of course the "waiting" time for the server response.

Best
Troels

Troels Emtekær Linnet
Karl-Liebknecht-Straße 53, 2 RE <http://maps.google.dk/>