[Tutor] Writing to Sound

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 15 11:24:09 CEST 2010

"Corey Richardson" <kb1pkl at aim.com> wrote

> First off, here is what I'm doing. I'm taking pi (3.141592 etc. etc.
> etc.), taking two values at a time, and then mapping the two values
> to pitch and length. I'm then using winsound.Beep to beep for x ms,
> at y frequency.

So far I understand.

> What I want to do, is write that to file.

Write what?
The sound generated by Beep or the data used to drive Beep?

> Judging from
> http://codingmess.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-make-simple-wav-file-with-python.html,
> it seems to be more complex than I care to undertake without
> exploring the possibilities.

That tells you how to make a wav file that will play in any standard
media
player program. Is that what you want?

> Are there any simpler or higher level ways?

It depends what you want the file to be. What do you intend to do with
the file?

> wouldn't mind something like sound_file.write(freq, length) like
> Beep does, but that may or may not exist.

You can write the two values to a file so that you can read it back
later
and send the values to Beep. Thats trivial. But the file will not play
in a
standard player.

> I dunno, a simple google doesn't yield anything.

That probably depends on what you are searching for.
I'm not clear from your description what you want to do.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site