[Tutor] GUI Creation Aide

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 14 14:40:09 CEST 2010

"Corey Richardson" <kb1pkl at aim.com> wrote

> Hey tutors! I'm creating a GUI for a program. Really simple. I don't
> mind coding it out, but I was looking into things like Glade and the
> like. Do you recommend those over just coding it out by hand, or
> should I try Glade (or similiar) out? Also, I don't really have a
> preference for which toolkit I use, wx/Tk/GTK, etc.

I spent some time a couple of years back looking at different GUI
builders for Python. Frankly I didn't like any of them. Nothing comes
close to the tools used in VisualBasic or Delphi etc.

Things may have improved in recent years and there are a few
commercial
tools that I didn't look at but for my limited GUI programming needs I
find
I'm just as well hand coding the GUI.

Just a personal view, others may differ. And if you intend to do a lot
of
GUI work (especially if you get paid for it!)  then it may be worth
paying for
something that really does a good job.

HTH,

--