[Tutor] Help with choices for new database program

David Hutto smokefloat at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 03:51:24 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Jeff Johnson <jeff at san-dc.com> wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 06:32 PM, David Hutto wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:31 PM, David Hutto<smokefloat at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Well, it was mainly that he said he was a beginner and was only using
>>> this for a single banking project, I do believe.
>>>
>>> Not that learning a new package would
>>
>> wouldn't
>>

>>  be helpful, I like
>>

>>> experimenting, and failing/succeeding, but if this is all he needs to
>>> accomplish, then not using more than is necessary would be beneficial.
>>> A simple script, with simple sqlite fields to maintain.
>>>

> David:  Experimenting, failing and succeeding is the life of a programmer.
>  I have been programming for many years in assemply, FORTRAN, COBOL, Basic,
> RPG, FoxPro, C, but I am now totally committed to Python.  It is the best of
> all worlds.  Coming from the Microsoft side, open source and Python creates
> a whole new set of problems.  Do I use Windows?  Do I use Linux?  Do I use
> my Mac Book Pro?  You do have to make some decisions before moving on.  The
> choices are endless.
>
> I have found Dabo and Django to be beneficial for me because they target
> what I want to do.
>
> Your mileage may vary.  ;^)

In the end, there might be so many packages, I might not be able to
handle it all(for my own uses). But, I would think, you would agree
that a simple account balance app, would be no more than tkinter with
a few functions to write and retrieve data from a sqlite db. To quote
Sherlock, 'Sometimes, after eliminating the impossible, what ever is
left, no matter how improbable, must be the solution.', or something
like that.