[Tutor] Please use plain text.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 6 23:01:11 CEST 2009

"Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote

> Personally, I'd rather see these mail lists turn into forums formats.

Web forums are far less useful than mailing lists for technical groups.
They require internet access and a browser to read them.
Many require a graphical browser so don't work in text mode
terminals. Very few are available via news feeds (and therefore
miss out on the power of newsreaders for effective bulk reading)
and many have quite poor search and archive capabilities.

Many programmers work in mixed environments where graphical
browers are non existent, or they are offline for extended periods.
Similarly those who have to process many hundreds of messages
a day tend to find news feeds more effective. There are python
web forums(fora?) but I confess I don;t read any of them. But I do
read half a dozen of the mailing lists (all via news feeds).

Of course it may just be what I'm used to from the early days of
the net, but I've yet to find a web forum that provides anything
like the functionality of a newsgroup or the flexibility of a mailing
list! Sadly forums do seem to be slowly taking over...

And of course the mailing lists are easily readable on the web
too via gmane, Activestate or the official archives.

Alan G.