[Tutor] XML parsing with SAX

amit sethi amit.pureenergy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 15:07:39 CEST 2008

Sorry , I didn't follow the format of posting to the group. Well I am new to
xml and python . What I basically want to do is to read elements from the
xml which is by the way large ~2GB and read the attributes and make a
decision as to whether i want to keep that element or not . I am told that
xml.sax is good for reading a large xml file because it can read from a
stream but what about writing the xml file back  Thank you for your help.

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com>wrote:

> "amit sethi" <amit.pureenergy at gmail.com> wrote
>
> Please, always use a meaningful subject line when posting!
> and do not reply to an existing thread, changing the subject.
> These things mess up threaded reading tools such as gmane
> and newsreaders. This reduces your chances of a reply.
>
>  Hi can any body give me an example as to how i can use Incremental Parser
>> in
>> xml.sax
>>

> If you look in the XML Topic Guide section of the Python web site there
> is a full tutorial on using SAX. This is a good starting point:
>
> http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/docs.html
>
> But frankly I'd strongly advise you to look at ElementTree if you are
> parsing XML. Its much easier to use. The only time I'd use sax nowadays
> is if I was porting code from some other sax based solution.
>
> http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm
>
> --
> Alan Gauld
> Author of the Learn to Program web site