[Tutor] newbee needs direction

Michael yaV michael at yavarsity.com
Wed Oct 1 23:01:33 CEST 2008

Here is my problem and my coding knowledge consists of html. I have
all the time in the world to play with this so I thought I would at
least ask how to get started.
I want to create a web base program that would output team standings.
The only given will be the names of each team and their division (ie:
division 1, division 2). What will be supplied is the score of an
event (game played between 2 teams), and weather it is a division game
(two teams in the same division playing each other) or out of division
game (two teams in different divisions playing each other). The out-
put will then be, the team with the highest percent of winnings will
show up at the top of a list and the worst win/loss percentage team
will show up at the bottom of a list. Also, for out-put, their will be
a total of 7 columns beside each team name. 4 columns for Division
play, a win column, a loss column, a tie column and then the win/loss
percentage column. then their will be 3 columns for Non-Division play,
a win column, a loss column, a tie column.
So, based on an entered score, a number will be added to one of the
columns, the win column, loss column or tie column and will also be
used to compute a win/loss percentage. The win loss percentage will be
total games won, divided by total games played (ie: A team that is 3-2
has a .600 win percentage because 3 divided by five equals .600). For
ties you would have to Add up the number of wins and half the number
of ties, and divide by the total number of games played. (ie: For
instance, a team with a 10-5-1 record would have a 10.5/16 or .656
winning percentage). If a team plays in a non-division game it will
have no barring to the standings unless their are two or more teams
with the same record. Therefore, if 2 teams have the same division
wins (win/loss percentage) but one team has more non-division wins,
that team should show up higher on the list.
I would also like that all teams' scores would have to be added before
a standings change would be calculated and made week to week. However,
their might have to be a "bye" button or just add zeros, in case a
particular team does in fact have a bye while other teams play. Also,
this way I will know which teams need their scores to be added.
I will most likely be adding the scores to an admin page and the
results will them be posted on a website.
OK... how should I get started and how tough will this be?

Thanks, Mike