[Tutor] Tkinter on OS X

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 22 09:57:13 CEST 2008

"Kent Johnson" <kent37 at tds.net> wrote

> I'm pretty sure that page is out-of-date, Tkinter does not require
> X11, it is integrated with Aqua.

This is true, as a recent posting confirmed re the limitations
of colouring buttons under Aqua. But...

> Tkinter has a reputation as quick and ugly.

Thats a good description in my experience. And on Aqua it
still isn't as slick as some other toolkits.

> there may be ways to make it look better

You can make Tkinter look OK on any platform but it takes
an inordinate amount of timwe to tweak all the settings on
every widget.

> looks you might want to choose a different toolkit. wxPython, PyQt
> and
> PyGTK all have their proponents.

If cross platform compatibility isn;t important then considr
using the Cocoa bindings for MacOS X. You can't get any
more native than that and you get the advantage of being
able to use XCode as your GUI BUilder. But it won't work
on anything but a Mac!

HTH,

Alan G