[Tutor] Tkinter on OS X

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sun Jun 22 00:29:38 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Shrutarshi Basu
<technorapture at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been writing a simple Tkinter interface to one of my programs.
> But it looks rather bad on OS X leopard. I was wondering why that was
> the case, since it seemed to take up at least some GUI elements (like
> button styles). I then came upon the following page:
> http://developer.apple.com/unix/toolkits.html

I'm pretty sure that page is out-of-date, Tkinter does not require
X11, it is integrated with Aqua.

> that says that the Aqua version of Tk hasn't been integrated with
> Tkinter. Is this correct? Is there another way to write a front-end
> that looks more like a native app.

Tkinter has a reputation as quick and ugly. Some dispute that and
there may be ways to make it look better but if you are after good
looks you might want to choose a different toolkit. wxPython, PyQt and
PyGTK all have their proponents.

Kent