[Tutor] TurtleWorld Windows issue

odispam at sonic.net odispam at sonic.net
Fri Jun 6 20:26:15 CEST 2008

I am working through _Think Python_ in spare time at work on a Windows
machine (so another OS is not an option).  I can't get TurtleWorld to run
as described in the book
(http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/book005.html).

I'm replicating the issue described here:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=481091

Using Windows XP, Idle v. 1.2.2, Python 2.5.2, Swampy 1.1.

After adding Swampy to the modules path:

>>> from TurtleWorld import *
>>> TurtleWorld()
<TurtleWorld.TurtleWorld instance at 0x00C4C968>

No new window appears, or if it appears, it closes nearly instantaneously.

>>> bob = Turtle()

A new but empty window appears, titled "TurtleWorld (Not Responding)"

Opening and running the TurtleWorld module through the Idle GUI menu
produces a functioning TurtleWorld window, but this is not useful for the
purposes of the exercises.

This is probably more of an Idle/Windows issue than a python issue, but I
won't be able to get through Think Python unless I resolve it. Does anyone
have an answer?

Thanks!

Oliver