[Tutor] What web framework?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 29 02:00:22 CET 2008

"Terry Carroll" <carroll at tjc.com> wrote

> But querying's different.  I'd initially planed on making this a
> wxPython
> application, but I think it might be simpler to have it as a web
> app, even
> though I'll be the only user, and the db will be resident on the
> same
> program I'm querying from.
>
> This calls for using a web framework,

Not really, a simple CGI app would be suffficient.
A framework is really only needed where you have lots of pages
all with the same look n feel and lots of interaction between them.
If all you need is a query screen and a results screen then basic
CGI should be more than adequate.

If you really want more then look at basic CherryPy rather than
TurboGears/Django. It takes the CGI pains away while keeping
the code simple and direct.

TurboGears and Django are both excellent but the learning curve
for a simple app is more than the gain IMHO. OTOH If you want
to build knowledge for the future then pick one and go with it.
It doesn't much matter which they all use the same principles
its only syntax differences really.

IMHO at least,

Alan G.