[Tutor] What has Editor X got that PyWin32 hasn't?

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 05:58:10 CEST 2008

Marc Tompkins wrote:
> Good Things about SPE:
> -  Tabbed editing
> -  "Output" pane, plus separate terminal pane for quickies
> -  Click on any line in an error traceback to jump to the offending
> line. Any file that isn't already, opens automatically when you click
> it.
> -  Left pane toggles between:
>    -  Code outline; specially formatted comment lines appear as
> section headers in outline
>    -  Todo list
>    -  Notes
>    -  TabNanny compiling checker (finds errors that work OK now, but
> might bite you later)
>    -  File browser
> -  Collapse/expand blocks of code for compact viewing
> -  Syntax highlighting (of course!)
> -  Code completion, inline help with function/method parameters
> -  Excellent integration with WinPdb debugger
> -  Excellent integration with PyDoc documentation
> generation/formatting/printing
> -  TabNanny
>
> Not-so-Good Things:
> -  Integrated subversion would be a nice plus.  (Actually, I use
> Bazaar anyway.)
> -  Programs you start from inside the IDE run as children of SPE, so
> inherit SPE's environment.  Not really a Bad Thing, just something to
> be aware of - if you make changes to the environment, and want your
> program to see them, run it from outside SPE or else restart SPE
> (which takes a fraction of the time it takes to restart Eclipse, by
> the way.)
One thing I really like about Python Win is the integrated debugger,
which takes no time to start up. SPE OTOH uses WinPDB which runs as a
separate process that takes (in the demo video) 15 seconds to start
(each time it is requested)! Since I depend heavily on the debugger that
delay would drive me crazy!

--
Bob Gailer
Chapel Hill NC

When we take the time to be aware of our feelings and
needs we have more satisfying interatctions with others.

Nonviolent Communication provides tools for this awareness.

As a coach and trainer I can assist you in learning this process.

What is YOUR biggest relationship challenge?