[Tutor] Python / CGI

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 7 01:50:31 CEST 2007

"Fiyawerx" <fiyawerx at gmail.com> wrote

> Hi guys, quick question, I've been trying to learn python lately,
> and have
> written a few little apps to help with some day to day stuff I do,
> and
> recently my fiance asked me if it was possible to come up with a
> simple web
> based schedule she can use with the other teachers in her school to
> schedule
> library time.

> wondering if python as cgi would be good for this, and if there are
> any
> pitfalls I need to watch out for before I start delving into it.

If you want to do it as a learning excercise then I recommend using
vanilla CGI.
Everyone should write a couple of CGI apps to understand what really
goes on.
But two is enough and then move onto a framework for the sake of your
sanity!

Django has gotten a mention, personally I've been using TurboGears a
bit
and like it. Its an amalgamation of CherryPy (already mentioned) to
convert
http requests into python method calls with kid for templating
(aka isolating your HTML from your code) and SQL Objects for providing
OO style database access - you may not even need this, flat files may
be adequate.(It can also use SQL Alchemy for this but I've not used
it)

www.turbogears.org

But frankly all web objects provide the same basic features and for
"conventional" web apps there is little to choose IMHO! ) And not just
in Python, the same applies to Ruby on Rails, Struts(Java),
IBM Websphere etc.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld