[Tutor] Python / CGI

Steve Willoughby steve at alchemy.com
Thu Sep 6 22:59:58 CEST 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 11:35:14AM -0400, Fiyawerx wrote:
> recently my fiance asked me if it was possible to come up with a simple web
> based schedule she can use with the other teachers in her school to schedule
> library time. (She's the librarian). Basically, it will be a small calendar
> like app that will have 'slots' teachers can sign up for. It doesn't sound

I wrote something like that in a couple of hours using straight Python, so
I know it's doable.  I haven't checked out any of the frameworks, but it
would be really interesting to see what it would take to build a couple
of apps in Django or whatever.

If you're interested in just banging out a Python app, though, my experience
was writing a calendaring tool for a group of my friends who get together
once a month or so for gaming days.  The app displays a year's calendar
(any year desired) and shows what days we're playing or not.  You click on
a link to get a version of that calendar view with "slots" open for you to
vote on which days you prefer or which you can't play on.  Then I have an
admin view which displays all the votes, and lets me make the "play/not play"
decision for each date, which is what is displayed in the normal calendar
view.

The whole thing only took 318 lines of straight Python code, including all
the HTML displayed on all those forms.

The "calendar" module is your friend for apps like this, by the way :)

--
Steve Willoughby    |  Using billion-dollar satellites
steve at alchemy.com   |  to hunt for Tupperware.