[Tutor] Starting a browser instance and passing a parameter toit.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 29 18:51:52 CET 2007

"Don Taylor" <nospamformeSVP at gmail.com> wrote

> Yes, quite possibly.  Just for fun, I am experimenting with ways to
> build portable desktop GUI applications - where portability includes
> independence from window managers.  I am trying to use a browser as
> the
> window manager for a (Python) application.

Have you considered writing a small Java applet (maybe using Jython to
do so?)
that could communicate with the Javascript and send the XML-RPC stuff
your server?

That doesn't help you get the parameters but it might be possible to
utilise
the OnLoad event to trigger an XML message to the server to get the
parameters
and feed it to JavaScript from within the applet. I know that this is
theoretically
possibly but I admit I've never attempted anything like it. But a
simple applet
on every page might just work. In fact, if JavaScript can send the
XML-RPC
you wouldn't need the applet, just get the JavaScript code send the
message
to fetch the parameter from the server once the page is loaded. Hmm,
but you
want to pass the port number... So until you get that you  are
stuck...Hmmm
that probably isn't going to work! :-)

Just a thought,

--