[Tutor] Starting a browser instance and passing a parameter to it.

Don Taylor nospamformeSVP at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 15:40:41 CET 2007

Alan Gauld wrote:

> What are you using for the XML-RPC server? Doesn't that need to be a
> web server of some sort anyhow? XML-RPC communicates using http...

I am using simpleXMLRPCServer.  Yes, XML-RPC does use http as its
transport protocol, but it does not have to run in the context of a
web-server.  You can run XML-RPC 'under' CGI but that costs a lot in
performance (continual re-loads) and, more importantly, forces a REST
model on to the XML-RPC server.  I am treating XML-RPC as a socket
server that happens to use http for its transport.

> You seem to be making a fairly easy task very complicated.

Yes, quite possibly.  Just for fun, I am experimenting with ways to
build portable desktop GUI applications - where portability includes
independence from window managers.  I am trying to use a browser as the
window manager for a (Python) application.

 > Remember that portable JavaScript is quite hard to write due to
 > browser
 > differences.

I plan to use something like Google Web Toolkit for the browser-side
code.  GWT (and many others tools and libraries) abstracts away browser
differences.  I don't plan to manipulate the browser DOM directly.

Sadly, the Pyjamas project has died - Pyjamas promised to be like GWT,
but used Python instead of Java for writing the ui code.

Thx.  Don.