[Tutor] geeks like us and the rest of THEM

Kirk Bailey deliberatus at verizon.net
Sun Mar 4 05:31:57 CET 2007

Andrei wrote:
> <snip>
>> That's part of it. a good installer is another, and I am loo]king at a
>> couple.  A solid and drool-proof server is the remaining leg of the
>> tripod. So far, none of the servers I have seen are satisfactory on all
>> scores- simplicity to install, reliability, economy of cost, (free or
>> unlimited license to me for a modest fee) and ease to configure if the
>> use\r so wishes. the closest I have yet seen SMALL HTTP SERVER. And it
>> is very good.
>> http://smallsrv.com/
>
> You could have a look at Aprelium's Abyss server (X1, which is freely
> distributable in unmodified form IIRC, but closed source). It has a good
> looking webbased configuration console and is cross-platform if you ever
> need that. However, you'll probably end up digging in its config
> programmatically to set up paths and such for the user - shouldn't be
> too hard using some webscraping if the files are not readily modifiable.
> Its setup is about 350 kB.
I did. good, but fairly large and noticible impact on cycles as well as
memory. smallserve is lighter, and tinyweb lighter yet- and it's terms
of use let one include it with commercial products free. and I have yet
to throw aqnything at it in spite of it's compact wtructure it could not
deal with.

> In terms of installers, NSIS (with the package to make it look modern,
> instead of that awful default look - forgot its name) or InnoSetup are
> the usual suspects. NSIS has a smaller overhead, but an uglier language.

both look interesting, inno looks like a faster learning curve.

--
Salute!
	-Kirk Bailey

Fnord.